The Power of Redemption
The Power of Redemption: Examining Jesus’ Final Words on the Cross.
The crucifixion of Jesus Christ is one of the most profound events in human history. The Son of God, who had come to save humanity from sin and death, willingly endured a torturous death on a wooden cross. As He hung there, gasping for air and struggling for His final breaths, He spoke seven profound and powerful words that continue to resonate with believers around the world. The Power of Redemption: Examining Jesus’ Final Words on the Cross. Let’s take a closer look at these last words of Jesus on the cross, as recorded in the Bible.
1. The first word of Jesus on the cross was a plea for forgiveness. He prayed, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing” (Luke 23:34). Despite the immense pain and suffering He was enduring, Jesus showed incredible compassion for His executioners. This act of forgiveness serves as a powerful reminder of the boundless love and grace of God, even in the midst of unimaginable cruelty.
2. The second word of Jesus was a promise of salvation. He said to one of the criminals crucified next to Him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43). This statement demonstrates the transformative power of faith and repentance, as well as the mercy of God in granting salvation to even the most undeserving sinners.
3. The third word of Jesus was an expression of compassion. He saw His mother and one of His disciples standing nearby and said to His mother, “Woman, here is your son,” and to the disciple, “Here is your mother” (John 19:26-27). Even in His agony, Jesus cared for those closest to Him and ensured that they would be taken care of after His death.
4. The fourth word of Jesus was an expression of abandonment. He cried out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mark 15:34). In this moment, Jesus felt the weight of sin and separation from God, experiencing the full extent of the punishment that humanity deserved.
5. The fifth word of Jesus was a declaration of thirst. He said, “I am thirsty” (John 19:28). This statement not only revealed the physical suffering that Jesus endured but also fulfilled a prophecy from Psalm 69:21, which spoke of the suffering of the Messiah.
6. The sixth word of Jesus was a statement of completion. He declared, “It is finished” (John 19:30). With these words, Jesus announced that His mission on earth was accomplished, and that His death had secured the redemption of all who would believe in Him.
7. The seventh and final word of Jesus was a proclamation of surrender. He said, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit” (Luke 23:46). With this statement, Jesus willingly surrendered His life to God, trusting in His faithfulness and love.
The last words of Jesus on the cross are a powerful testament to His love, grace, and sacrifice. They remind us of the incredible price that He paid to redeem humanity and restore us to a right relationship with God. As we reflect on these words, may we be humbled and inspired by the depth of His love, and may we commit ourselves to living lives that honor and glorify Him. The Power of Redemption: Examining Jesus’ Final Words on the Cross.
Your generosity is appreciated – consider making a donation right here. ►